Rock the Pavement

Welcome to my Happy World. Don't feed the bears.



Saturday, April 17, 2010

Getting there

I've always like research. Though the topics tend to bounce from things like epic poems to WW1 planes and aeronautic technology (how more people didn't die is a plain miracle IMO), from kendo to gardening.

The more I work and the more effort and time I put into my writing I've started taking it much more seriously. Its still a hobby but now that Warcraft is indefinitely on hold it is my primary one. (The gym and hiking aren't hobbies, they are tools that keep me sane.) So I've been researching.

More than the AW forums I've been reading agent, editor and writer blogs. Other than the obvious leaning towards LiveJournal by nearly the entire community I've been stunned by the sheer amount of words people manage to write. The average daily seems to be around 5K.

More than anything I'm stunned by the sheer amount of output. I thought getting 7-10K a week was fast paced. Admittedly getting 35K is just all kinds of daunting. Now some of them don't have other jobs and have to write as it is their only way to feed themselves and whatever minions they have (we writers always have minions - all of mine are asleep at the moment).

I think in this respect I'm lucky. My day job gives me the security of never having to explain the concept of missing meals to my ducklings and at the same time gives me the opportunity to write. If I can get 30K a month then I foresee all kinds of wordy shenanigans. Now to get cracking, time is awastin'!

No comments: